1. Not knowing the language was difficult. Most students spoke English, but in the suburbs, where we lived, most people only spoke French. The language barrier made it very hard to communicate and understand, which was very overwhelming, especially at the beginning.
2. Talking to students every day was exhausting. 2 Corinthians 1:8-9 and 2 Corinthians 12:9 are two verses that I really identified with while I was there.
For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. 2 Corinthians 1:8-9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9
3. Being away from family, friends, and a familiar environment was tough. Living in a foreign country for six weeks without much communication with people back home was a challenge.
4. France is very spiritually dark and is a difficult place to do ministry.
1. France is BEAUTIFUL. Pictures don’t even do it justice; it’s one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been.
2. Getting to know the 19 other people on the trip and spending time with them was a blast!
3. French students were VERY nice and polite. Meeting and getting to know them was a lot of fun.
4. I got to learn SO much about France and French culture. There many things I learned from French students I would not have been able to learn from a book.
5. French students are very open about their beliefs and were usually very willing to tell us what they believe about God.
6. Being part of the awesome things God is doing in France was such a blessing! While we were there our team had 1080 spiritual conversations, 495 gospel conversations, and we saw 5 people accept Christ. I am so thankful God allowed me to part of that!
And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. Corinthians 2:1-5